Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teaching Your Children About Us Pagans

A little off the beaten path, but maybe not. Teaching children is something you do every day. If you are trying or not. For example my 2yo. calls his drink a cup. Why? Because when he would get a drink it was always said, "Get Casey a cup too." So he associated a drink with cup. My oldest we used to spell it out in front of him, and when he started talking, much to our surprise he would say he wanted a D-R-I-N-K.

I guess overall the lesson with this is that, whatever we say children absorb like a sponge. Teaching your children Paganism would be as easy as involving your children. Talking about it freely around them. Taking questions to heart.

Not too long ago my 6yo. was talking with my 10yo. My 10yo. said the rain comes from God. My 6yo. said no, it comes from Mother Nature, my mommy said Mother Nature makes the rain. He went on to explain that Mother Nature cries, and it rains. My 10yo said, "ok, that makes sense."

I guess what I am saying with this, is to take every chance you can to teach your children. It's better that you do it then others. I am not saying to absolutely guide them to Paganism, but there are people who will take it upon themselves to teach them Christianity, and try to save them from "Going to Hell". You should take this time to teach them about Paganism too. That way they know better when someone tells them what their family does is wrong. Mine do!

1 comment: