Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Back to the basics!!!

Being a homeschooling mom, and finally having a little land to do so, I decided this year we would garden. I thought oh, what a wonderful family project then imagine when the harvest holidays came, and we actually had things to harvest! What a great picture I had in my head.

So then the day came, after planting some things indoors and then transplanting them outdoors. Come on kids we're gonna plant our garden. The boys come out, Quentin and Ashton walk off uninterested. Owen, Salem and Anakin take their plants, and barely put them in the ground and run off. Ashton and Quentin then complain about having the water the plants. A few weeks later I am the only one watering, planting, or heck, even caring about the garden.

So what happened? I thought this was a perfect idea. Everyone seemed all aboard until it got hot, hard and downright a chore for one person. That is the stunner, I have 8 boys!!! OK, I don't expect much from the 3 little ones, ages 4, 2 and 1. But 6 and up are not the least bit interested. It is almost making my head spin. So again, another brainstorm. I could play like that story in which the chicken made the bread, and noone wanted to make it, but everyone wanted to eat it. My dad was one of 9 children, raised on a farm and they worked on it. Heck, back then that is the reason farmers had so many children. I did not actively spoil my children. I do believe they have inadvertantly been spoiled tho.

They do have game systems, which have been cut down to Friday nights. We didn't get cable once we moved, now all we have is movies and digital channels that are local. My children are absorbed tho, in the land of television or video games.

I watched a television program on PBS the other night. They took spoiled kids and did the homeless program. 5 days and nights. One blanket, and 5 dollars for eating. I thought hmmm, that is a good idea. Because I know my dad went fishing and hunting. His fun was all self made. He played outside when he wasn't doing farm work. I do know it is a time for a life lesson of sorts. I do believe we may have a camping trip in the works.

I won't allow electronics on our camping trips. Normally it is for a night or so, but I think more if called for. Something to put these boys back in touch with their roots, with nature. I know I can do it, but for them it will be an experience. No video game talk or card games or DSI, DSILX, just them, and us.

No comments:

Post a Comment